My name is Barb McCoy (firstname.lastname@example.org) and I am a homeschooling mom of four. Three of my children have graduated from high school and my youngest son is still home with me completing his high school years. We started this blog to share our adventures using the Handbook of Nature Study with other families and it has developed into a community of nature study lovers. We spend our outdoor time in our Northern California backyard and neighborhood as we share a few minutes each week together exploring God's creation.
Each week I post an Outdoor Hour Challenge for families to complete as they have time. I suggest pages to read in the Handbook of Nature Study and then some simple suggestions for you to complete in a few minutes outdoors with your children. All of the previous Outdoor Hour Challenges are listed on the sidebar of this blog. You are welcome to use them in any order that you wish and at a pace you feel comfortable with.
I have written several ebooks compiling the Outdoor Hour Challenges and I hope you take some time to consider using these ebooks in your family as a simple way to get started with nature study. You can click over to my Getting Started Page to see the list of current ebooks available.
If you subscribe to my blog you will receive my monthly newsletter containing nature study ideas, notebook pages, coloring pages, resource ideas, articles by Outdoor Hour Challenge participants, newsletter discounts, product reviews, and so much more! You can subscribe below.
You can find lots more information about my projects and my nature writing on my Squidoo Len:
Harmony Art Mom
Email me anytime with your questions or comments:
You are also welcome to read my other blog with art and music appreciation ideas, as well as our experiences with homeschooling during the high school years.
To subscribe to the Handbook of Nature Study, you can enter your email in the box below and you will receive each blog entry in your email inbox. Thank you so much for reading and supporting this blog!
Reviews and Advertising
The Handbook of Nature Study blog is the home of the weekly Outdoor Hour Challenge which encourages families to enjoy nature in their own backyards through simple activities and nature journals. A global community of families link up with the Outdoor Hour Challenge community in a monthly newsletter and blog carnival. This award winning blog has been serving the homeschooling nature study community for over five years.
Who are my readers?
-Homeschool moms comprise the majority of my readers- Charlotte Mason, Classical, Secular, and Unschoolers are all a part of this community
-Moms who provide nature study opportunities after school and on weekends
-Families who are committed to providing consistent nature study opportunities
-Families interested in natural living and green alternatives
Products that I would consider for review or advertising:
- Nature study related products for children and families
- Books dealing with outdoor living, field guides, children's nature related books, or science
- Outdoor gear - for people or pets
- Nature journal supplies
- Travel guides or travel destination reviews
If you are interested in submitting a product for review here on the Handbook of Nature Study, please email me to discuss the details and terms. (email@example.com) I give honest reviews and full disclosure when I receive a product. I prefer to offer a free giveaway with each review.
Samples of reviews:
- Your Backyard - Monarch Butterfly DVD
- Birdcage Press Wild Cards - Review and Giveaway
- Observing Nature-A Nature Journal Guide by Irene Brady
- Handbook of Nature Study
- Buddy Fruits
- Ranger Rick Jr. Magazine from National Wildlife
- Book review on LibraryThing: Harmony Art Mom
- Sample travel review: Samuel Boardman Corridor - Oregon
- Safe Glow LED Dog Collar
- Complete list of reviews that I have written on Curriculum Choice
Advertising- New to the Handbook of Nature Study Blog!
I only accept advertisers who offer products or services in line with my reading audience.
Currently I am only offering ad space for one product or company per month. This gives you exclusive advertising to my entire reading audience for the month you purchase your ad.
Advertising Package Includes:
1. Exclusive advertising in my email newsletter to over 4,000 loyal readers. You will need to provide the half page ad to be inserted in my Outdoor Hour Challenge Newsletter that releases on the first of the month.
2. Exclusive advertising on my blog sidebar, placed even with my most current content. You provide the 250 x 250 sized button for placement in my “Sponsor” section. (Currently 44,000 page views per month.)
3. One review post of your product (my choice if you offer more than one product) during your advertising month (I pick the date it runs.) I only give honest reviews and I disclose that I have been paid to review your product. I also require that you provide one product to giveaway in a “sweepstakes” style promotion as part of the review.
4. A minimum of four Tweets and four Facebook mentions during your advertising month.
5. One final "thank you" post at the end of the month and recap of my review.
Please contact me availability, prices, and for more information on my blog’s statistics.Please feel free to ask for more information as I launch the product review and advertising program on the Handbook of Nature Study blog. Contact me for a media kit.
Around the Web:
Celebrate Urban Birds (Cornell): Barb - Harmony Art Mom